South Campus Gateway, LLC.

Photo by Megan Leigh Barnard

Cuppa Change

Kenny Sipes wants your money. He wants your attention. He wants your company. He wants your support. Kenny Sipes wants it all. He wants to have his cake and eat it too. Kenny Sipes wants…

heidikinscooks.com

Table Talk

Amy Neiwirth Sweet Stella Designs  Cheap: If you have $10 and your stomach is growling, head over to Surly Girl Saloon. Surly Girl has been a favorite hangout and gathering spot of mine for almost…

Photo by Ryan Green

Culinary Chemistry

I have to admit—just hearing the word “lab” throws me back to those awful high school afternoons of science class: uncomfortable lab partners and experiments that were supposed to gurgle and bubble, but just spat and…

Up to Date

It doesn’t matter whether it’s Tinder, Match.com, or a desperate email on LinkedIn, no matter how you secure your date in this modern lovescape: you still actually have to go on the date. I know,…

Photo by Chris Casella

Livestrong & Prosper

Doug Ulman attended the inaugural Pelotonia ride six years ago, along with his colleague and friend Lance Armstrong, who spoke at the opening ceremony. Ulman didn’t participate; he just watched. He continued to observe during…

Love Me Tinder

In a world dominated by smartphones and instant gratification, the dating scene has shifted. The pervasiveness of social media has rendered the concept of going on an actual “blind date” as old-fashioned as showing up…

Photo by Chris Casella

Rock Star

Rock Star: when you hear that word, Tony Reynaldo isn’t probably the type that comes to mind. The globally recognized rock climbing holds designer and professional climber is now the owner of Kinetic Climbing &…

Breathe it in

Early evening light creeps through the windows, dancing across plush black leather, wood, and brick, revealing the haze that fills the room. Jazz piano riffs break through the conversations swirling around you like the smoke…

Part-time Santa

Despite your religious affiliation or lack thereof—and regardless of which side you’re on in the always escalating “War on Christmas,” it’s difficult to deny the innocuous magic that comes from a sighting of Santa Claus…

Apostrophes

The Circus Fat Lady Eulogizes Mary the Elephant by Rachel Wiley In 1916, Mary the Elephant was hanged from a crane for the murder of her inexperienced trainer during a parade through downtown Kingsport, TN….

Apostrophes

In our Apostrophes section, (614) Magazine attempts to highlight some of the incredible literary talent that lives, works, and writes in Columbus. If you are an interested writer, please direct your submissions (1,000 words max…

Photo by Shelby Lum

Power Hour

Trivial yet necessary tasks eat up time, and errands – running to the store, getting groceries, remembering to pick up a gift – are complete and total time-crushers. Whence, an app-based company, works in that…

Table Talk

Justin Nawman Thomas Worthington Cheap: O’Reilly’s Pub. Easily the best burger in the city (please believe the hype). If you order chili fries, they’re served on a platter roughly the size of a car door. Rich:…

Photo courtesy Juiceboxx

Pitch Perfect

Rosemary Garry and Lucas Williamson had problems.  Garry struggled to coordinate meeting times with Columbus businesspeople; Williamson kept breaking MacBook chargers. They created very different product-based companies to solve these problems, but they had a…

Table Talk

Caitlin McGurk Billy Ireland Cartoon Museum and Library Cheap:  My addiction may eventually cause my demise, but the tacos (specifically the pulled pork ones) at Ethyl & Tank on campus have got to be some…

Photo by Old Machine

Booze or Burpees?

What whets your appetite for competition more, the Summer Olympics or your backyard beer Olympics? If you answered the latter, then there’s probably a new local race for you – The Ultimate Beer Run, a…

Photo by Ryan Feeney

The Streets Are Ours

The purpose of the Open Streets initiative is to temporarily closes streets to automobiles so that people may use them for healthy and fun physical activities like walking, jogging, biking, and dancing. As a kid,…

X