South Campus Gateway, LLC.

Photo by Randall L. Schieber

Down By The Riverside

Editor’s Note: Last summer, (614) published a three-part series about the Olentangy and Scioto rivers, and their shared journey through time and the city. After an uncontrolled sewage overflow issue, and under threat of lawsuit…

Illustration by Dustin Goebel

Clergy and the Closet

“It became difficult to preach a particular authenticity… that I did not feel safe to return,” said Rev. John Girard, associate pastor of Worthington United Methodist Church, who attended Garrett Evangelical Theological Seminary and became…

Photo by Chris Casella

In Good Company

Matt Scantland has an Uber-sized problem to solve. But he needs your help. “No one’s really talking about it, but every day we’re seeing thousands of patients who aren’t getting the drug they need to…

Level Up

Crowdfunding isn’t a new way to raise money, and at this point, we know the drill: you give a moderate donation to support a creative endeavor or seed a social enterprise. If enough people give,…

Photo by Chris Casella

Heavy Metal

Jay Leno is a fan. Aniket Vardhan’s hand-built mechanical wonder, The Musket V-twin motorcycle engine, was recently featured on Leno’s CNBC show Garage—a real feather in the cap for any gearhead. Leno is more than…

Photo by Adam Elkins

Uncovering Columbus

Picture the city in your mind. What do you see? LeVeque Tower? The Scioto? The colossal stone arch in McFerson Commons, or the iron arches above High Street? Ohio Stadium? Franklin Park Conservatory? These are…

Photos by Megan Leigh Barnard

The Great Pumpkin King

Most of us commonfolk take a classic approach to pumpkin carving: some triangular eyes, a bucktoothed grin, and (if you’re feeling especially creative) another triangle for the nose. Boom. You’re finished. But then there’s always…

Independents’ Day photo by karl J. francis

A Grand Festifall

In 2011, the Columbus Italian Club created the world’s largest meatball at the Italian Festival. According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the final weight—after three days of cooking—tipped the scales at 1,110.5 pounds,…

Illustration by Alix Ayoub

A Place in Line

“Sell those ladies a license!” boomed a voice, and the room went up in cheers. For Jimmie Beall and Mindy Ross, the words were a long time coming. Sitting in the flower and bird feeder-filled…

Photos by Megan Leigh Barnard

Four Words

The End of June Every Monday morning in June, marriage equality activists blocked off their calendars and waited. They waited for the Supreme Court ruling on Obergefell v. Hodges, a landmark case that would end…

Two for the Road

Abigail: Two weeks ago, Monkey, one of my longest-standing friends, called to check in on me, prompted by some misinterpreted Facebook post. Nine months prior, my father had passed away unexpectedly, so she was worried…

Photo by Foodbyfax/Creative Commons

Dad in a Cape

“I define myself as many things: I’m a husband. I’m a father. I’m a brother. I’m a son. I’m the branch leader of Heroes Alliance Ohio. I’m a costumer. I’m a superhero fan.” That’s Aaron…

Photo by Black Locust

Women of the Heartland

Everyone sing along: Old McDonald had a farm, E-I-E-I-O. While we can certainly appreciate the universal nature of the tune, guess what? The original lyrics, as recorded in 1917’s tome Tommy’s Tunes, went like this:…

Babe City

Babe-tacular! Babe-licious! Babe-curious! Babe-ulous! Babe-tastic! Babe-telligent! If it’s a babe word game, it’s a good sign Creative Babes are around. This time, the group is at the Columbus Commons, gathered together to support Babe Jackie…

Photo by Chris Casella

The Big Payback

With thousands of campaigns spread out over multiple platforms, crowdfunding is now a ubiquitous aspect of our online lives. Our timelines, walls, and feeds are plastered with links to the latest project that just needs…

Photo courtesy of WWE

House of Bliss

A few years back, Lexi Kaufman clicked on an ad that changed her life. This wasn’t your average “One Hidden Weight Loss Tip” or “Make $90,000 Working from Home” kind of deal. Instead, it was a…

Photos by Chris Casella

Truck Takeover

I’m sitting on the patio at Meisters’, the smell of the next table’s pizza making my stomach growl, but not as much as the conversation going on in front of me. Two chefs are talking…

Photos by Adam Lowe

Strapping Man

Hovelled in a non-descript storefront in the outer reaches of Clintonville, a man covered in ink wearing a rugged, wooly beard receives me with a smirk. His shop is roughly the size of a spacious…

X