It’s the time of year you seek comfort in the warmth of bundles of blankets, delightful fires and time with family and friends. With that, your tummy wants some warmth, too. Enjoy these delicious and easy-to-make healthy recipes inspired by Fit Food Meals’ new fall menu of delicious comfort foods. All ingredients are natural and purposely chosen to include less fat, more protein and are chock full of nutrients.
Check out Fit Food’s fall menu at www.fitfoodmeals.com.
White Chicken Chili
2 (14.5-ounce) cans of white beans
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 medium jalapeno pepper, minced
2 medium poblano peppers, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1½teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
4 cups veggie stock
Juice of 2 limes
1 cup cubed white meat chicken
¼ cup cilantro leaves, chopped
1. In large pot, brown peppers, onions and garlic.
2. Add all spices and veggie stock, bring to a boil.
3. Drain and rinse beans, mash a half-cup of the beans, then add all beans to the pot.
4. Add chicken to pot and simmer 20 minutes.
5. Right before serving, add lime juice and cilantro. Top with cheese, onions, etc. Enjoy!
Chipotle Cheese-less Mac ‘n Cheese
1½ cups raw cashews
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
¾ cup water
1½ teaspoon sea salt
¼ cup nutritional yeast
½ teaspoon chili powder
½ clove garlic
Pinch of turmeric
Pinch of cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon mustard (Dijon or yellow)
8 ounces of elbow or shell pasta of choice
Freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon adobo paste
1 cup broccoli or peas, cooked
1. Preheat the oven to 350.
2. Boil water for pasta.
3. Cook pasta.
4. In a blender or food processor, combine cashews, lemon juice, water, salt, yeast, chili powder, garlic, turmeric, cayenne, mustard and adobo paste. Mix until creamy, cheese-like consistency.
5. Combine noodles, vegetables and cheese sauce.
6. Serve immediately or place in square pan and bake for 15 minutes.
1 cup mushrooms, finely chopped
1½ cups onions, finely chopped
2 teaspoons garlic, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 cup panko bread crumbs
½ cup milk
2 eggs, beaten
1¼ pounds ground turkey
1 teaspoon fresh thyme
7 tablespoons of your favorite BBQ sauce
(divided into two portions)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a cookie sheet with foil.
2. Cook mushrooms, onions and garlic in oil until soft.
3. Combine cooked ingredients with all other items, and half of BBQ sauce
4. Form mixture into 9-inch by 5-inch loaf in the middle of the sheet. Brush with remaining BBQ sauce. Cook for about 40 minutes. The temperature in the middle should be 170 degrees.
Creamy Mashed Potatoes
2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 teaspoon salt
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup Greek yogurt
¼ cup fresh chives
1. Boil potatoes until soft.
2. Cook garlic in butter until golden, stirring frequently.
3. Drain potatoes, mash and add butter mixture and all other ingredients. Add black pepper if desired.